Methamphetamine Abuse in Illinois
Methamphetamine is the principal drug of concern in the rural areas of central and southern Illinois; although there is increasing evidence that methamphetamine is being distributed in the Chicago area.
Large quantities of methamphetamine produced by drug trafficking organizations based in Mexico are transported into Illinois. Additionally, small-scale methamphetamine laboratories have proliferated greatly in many areas of the state. Outlaw motorcycle gangs and Hispanic street gangs control the retail distribution of methamphetamine. (1)
Methamphetamine Use among High School Students:
3.8% of students reported using methamphetamine one or more times during their life. (2)
In 2006 there were 133 Methamphetamine related arrests; 18% of all drug-related arrests in IL.
There was 28.7 kg of methamphetamine seized in 2010. (3)
There were 430 lab incidents in 2010. (4)
There were 23 children endangered by meth labs in 2010. (5)
Treatment Admissions for Methamphetamine Abuse: (6)
903 treatment admissions for methamphetamine/amphetamine abuse in 2009;
1.3% of all drug abuse treatment admissions.
For additional percentages giving the breakdown of age at admission, race, ethnicity, and sex please Click Here
Has PSE Tracking Law (7)
Schedule V; POS Restriction: Quantity, Display/Offer (8)
1. ONDCP: State of Illinois: Profile of Drug Indicators. http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/statelocal/il/il.pdf
2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Youth Online: High School YRBS. Available: http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/YouthOnline/App/Default.aspx
3. National Meth Center; State Resources. Available: http://www.nationalmethcenter.org/STATES.html
4. Total of All Meth Clandestine Laboratory Incidents Including Labs, Dumpsite, Chem/Glass/Equipment. Available: http://www.justice.gov/dea/concern/meth_lab_maps/2010.jpg
5. MethResources.gov; State Resources. Available: http://www.methresources.gov/Index.html
6. Treatment Admissions Data. Available: http://wwwdasis.samhsa.gov/webt/tedsweb/tab_year.choose_year_web_table?t_state=IL
7. PSE Tracking Law. Available: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/meth/map-meth-by-state/
8. Point of Sale Restrictions. Available: http://www.justice.gov/ndic/pubs38/38661/app-b.htm#TableB5